[Libvir] Libvirt on windows

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 10:39:27 UTC 2008

Gabriel Kaufmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still unable to build (see output files attached). This is from the sources I downloaded from  ftp://libvirt.org/libvirt/libvirt-cvs-snapshot.tar.gz
>
> When running configure I get a popup error message that libconf-2.dll is missing. Looking at MinGW site, I found version 1.11 of libconv. Do I have to use a later version? If yes where can I find it.
>
> I'm having problem understanding which libraries and versions I should use for the compilation.
> Do you have a more detailed list of packages to install in MinGW.
> If you can send me this lis, I'll start from the beginning using a new (clean) XP installation.
>
> Can I just use the binaries compiled in https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-January/msg00072.html ?
> I want to be able to connect to the Xen server using libvirt from Microsoft Visual Studio using c/C++.

Sorry for late reply, I was on holiday yesterday.

For the build error, looks like a regression because of some recently
added / updated code.  I'll have to boot up my Windows machine and take
a look.

Versions of the packages used:

   MinGW & MSYS "candidate" versions (specifically, gcc 4 is required)
   GnuTLS 1.6.3 (binary for Windows on their site)
     Make sure you install it in a location _without_ a space in the path
     (ie. not the default).
     You have to hack the *.la files to correct the hard-coded paths.
   libxml2 2.6.30
     (I compiled from source, but there are also binaries available)
   My PortableXDR library.

You should be able to use the binaries from that location.  Within the
installer you'll find a 'libvirt.dll' + all the *.dll that it requires.
  Supposedly this DLL will work on MS VC++, but obviously I haven't
tested this.  The thing to do is to try it.

Rich.