[libvirt] RFC: virt-console

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 1 16:54:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 11:56:25AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 04:21:38PM +0100, John Levon wrote:
> >
> > See implementation here:
> >
> > http://cr.opensolaris.org/~johnlev/virt-console/
> >
> > (inside libvirt.hg/patches/libvirt/virt-console)
>
>   Hum :-)
>
> ++ * Daniel Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>
> ++ *
> ++ * Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
>
> > This splits virsh console into a separate binary to allow it to be
> > setuid-root on Solaris (where we check permissions then drop privilege).
> > It also fixes a number of RFEs
> >
> > This is against 0.4.0, so it's not ready for merging yet (I hope to get
> > it forward ported at some point).
>
>   I may be mistaken but this seems to basically be limited to console
> for domains running on the local machine, and hum, I doubt it's really
> a good approach. Seems to me it's better to talk to the vnc (or other
> protocol used to connect remotely) export of the console, and get rid
> of the 'localhost only' limitation. But I may very well have missed
> something.

This is the same limitation as the existing 'virsh console' - John's
merely splitting it into a separate binary, which is what I previously
suggested for making the solaris privilege separation work better in
the context of virsh.

It is also only intended to be used for the text console - we've already
got perfectly good clients for the remote graphical VNC console.