[libvirt] static address assignment via dnsmasq

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 15 19:21:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:49:39AM -0700, Kurt Sussman wrote:
> I want my VMs to be assigned static addresses by hostname. I would
> prefer to set up a generic way to configure dnsmasq, since I don't think
> this is the last thing I'll want to change about address assignment.
>
> I saw this patch from "Mads Chr. Olesen"
>
>   https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-April/msg00327.html
>
> But it seems like a lot of work to give access to only one dnsmasq
> option.

The point of the impl quoted above is

 - The use of Dnsmasq is a private implementation detail that must remain
   hidden from applications using libvirt, so an alternate DNS/DHCP
   impl can we switched in without breaking apps using it
 - It provides applications a programmatic API for controlling the
   address assignment, because you cannot assume login access to
   the OS running dnsmasq.
 - It ensures the configuration of the network is fully specified in
   a single place, so can be guarenteed identical across all machines
   using the same XML configuraiton.

For all these reasons, we explicitly do not use a configuration file with
dnsmasq - indeed we explicitly disable it, and do not intend to support
its use.