[libvirt] attach device on a defined (non-active) vm

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jul 18 12:20:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 03:49:01AM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> It seems that the attach device function really 'attaches' a (live)
> device to a non-active domain. Is this by design?
>
> Otherwise I would not have a clue how to interpreted this message:
>
> libvir: Xen Daemon error : POST operation failed: (xend.err 'Device
> /dev/xvdp (51952, tap) is already connected.')
>
> (when I try to start the domain)

This seems like a bug in XenD to me - when attaching a disk we simply
pass the SEXPR config straight into XenD's  device_create RPC call.
If it accepts it without error, that's pretty much where libvirt's
involvement ends. So if it doesn't subsquently start there's something
wrong with XenD - either it failed to reject an invalid config when
libvirt made the device_create call, or it otherwise broke the guest
in some way.