[libvirt] Libvirtd default.xml (in qemu/networks/autostart) breaks XEN

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jul 18 18:25:37 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 08:15:20PM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange schreef:
> >On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:33:22PM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> >>The desire to automatically install the autostarted network configuration
> >>of libvirt broke my (and some other users on xen-users) setup. I suggest
> >>to *remove* this network configuration as default and *not* put it into
> >>xenstore as a stateful config.
> >>
> >>*It does not work by default*
> >
> >It works just fine by default. If anything is breaking networking it is
> >XenD.
>
> The default is xenbr0... and since xend is still required for all
> operations, it is a bit strange to claim it breaks itself...

The 'default' is whatever your management app decides is the default
(if any), which has nothing todo with what XenD creates  by default.
virt-install will default to the bridge associated with the default
route, if none is found it'll use the first libvirt virtual network
it finds. Fedora does not create 'xenbr0' in a standard install so
the virbr0 will always be used unless the admin has configured full
bridging. Even if the admin has got bridging configured, the prescence
of virbr0 does not impact that functionality.