[libvirt] ruby-libvirt on debian based systems

Tom Verhaeghe pietjeprik at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 20:22:31 UTC 2008

Hello

I don't know if ruby-libvirt can work in a debian-based environment.  I
installed kvm, libvirt, RoR, etc on Ubuntu and it all works fine.

I pasted the output when installing the gem below.  I think the problem
could be that libvirt is called differently in Ubuntu or stored on a
different location.  Is there a way to get around?

Thanks in advance

Tom

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
    Error instaling ruby-libvirt-0.0.7.gem:

ruby extconf.rb install ruby-libvirt-0.0.7.gem
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
    --with-opt-dir
    --without-opt-dir
    --with-opt-include
    --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
    --with-opt-lib
    --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
    --with-make-prog
    --without-make-prog
    --srcdir=.
    --curdir
    --ruby=/usr/bin/ruby1.8
    --with-_libvirt-dir
    --without-_libvirt-dir
    --with-_libvirt-include
    --without-_libvirt-include=${_libvirt-dir}/include
    --with-_libvirt-lib
    --without-_libvirt-lib=${_libvirt-dir}/lib
    --with-libvirt-config
    --without-libvirt-config
    --with-pkg-config
    --without-pkg-config
extconf.rb:16: libvirt not found (RuntimeError)

Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-libvirt-0.0.7
for inspection.
Results logged to
/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-libvirt-0.0.7/ext/libvirt/gem_make.out