[libvirt] [FeatureRequest/RFC] non-volitile domain defines

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 23 09:54:11 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange schreef:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 03:16:57AM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:
>> I think I have already sent an email about this to the list, but no reply
>> on this specific point.
>>
>> Libvirt is currently capable of storing storage, networks, the only thing
>> that is really missing is the direct storage of domains. I wonder if a
>> patch would be accepted that stores defined domains (live) to disk upon
>> change. Some sort of dumpxml per define/attach/etc. when a domain is
>> undefined the file is removed.
>
> The storage of persistent configurations is implementation defined. With
> some drivers libvirt takes care of it directly, with others it is delegated
> to the underlying hypervisor specific tools. We're not going to replicate
> that in libvirt because it'll cause interoperability problems with tools
> which aren't libvirt based

DV: sorry, wrong webclient.

DP: Would a patch be accepted that makes this configurable for *all*
implementations? So that by after configuration a file is saved, and is
queried after the platform specific implementation doesn't list the
domain as defined?

List Defined domains:
  - Query current implementation
  - If defined merge all non available domains.

In principle what I want to see is that if a domain is not defined in
the specific hypervisor, the domain file can be queried. I know I can
implement this behavior in my own code, but I really thing this would be
a cool thing for more people.

Stefan