[libvirt] [FeatureRequest/RFC] non-volitile domain defines

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jul 23 10:07:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:54:11AM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> DP: Would a patch be accepted that makes this configurable for *all*
> implementations? So that by after configuration a file is saved, and is
> queried after the platform specific implementation doesn't list the
> domain as defined?
>
> List Defined domains:
>  - Query current implementation
>  - If defined merge all non available domains.
>
> In principle what I want to see is that if a domain is not defined in
> the specific hypervisor, the domain file can be queried. I know I can
> implement this behavior in my own code, but I really thing this would be
> a cool thing for more people.

This doesn't make any sense. We have APIs for listing & defining inactive
domains. The individual drivers implement these APIs according to the
required API contract, and the underlying impl is not something which any
application using libvirt need know or care about. If your application is
relying on the inactive domains being stored in files it is broken.