[libvirt] [FeatureRequest/RFC] non-volitile domain defines

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 23 11:00:08 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange schreef:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:43:25PM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:
>> Daniel P. Berrange schreef:

>>> This doesn't make any sense. We have APIs for listing & defining inactive
>>> domains. The individual drivers implement these APIs according to the
>>> required API contract, and the underlying impl is not something which any
>>> application using libvirt need know or care about. If your application is
>>> relying on the inactive domains being stored in files it is broken.
>> Or you could say that libvirt is broken because it isn't able to
>> distribute the inactive domains across the network in a consistent way.
>
> No, because that is not libvirt's job. The goal of libvirt is to provide
> an API for managing virtualization capabilities on a host. Data center or
> network management is an application level problem, out of scope for libvirt.

That calls for a libvirt-fork that does implement what is needed to
consistently providing a replicated pool of domains; call it
libvirt-datacenter-edition. I think it is the biggest non sense for
implementing shortcommings/management in kvm/qemu, but don't provide
these to the other hypervisors 'just because they implement it
theirselves locally'.

It is non-trivial to provide a 'xenstored' for the complete network,
while it is relatively easy to put an NFS dir on the libvirt xml configs.

Stefan