[libvirt] remote access libvirtd / bindings for php/asp

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jun 3 23:43:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 01:36:17AM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Or just exending libvirtd with proxy functionality. I would like to hear
> the Red Hat ideas on this one.

This kind of functionality doesn't really belong in libvirtd. It is not
intended to be a centralized management daemon for multiple nodes. It
has one job - provide remote access to the libvirt APIs for a single node.
If you want management of a whole cluster/network of machines then you
want to have a separate management server talking to the libvirtd on
each node and providing an aggregate view of some kind. libvirt isn't
intended to be a complete management application in its own right - it
is just providing the base infrastructure on which you can build applications.
One such application is oVirt which talks to multiple libvirtd enabled
hosts and provides an aggegrate view. There are other people working on
similar types of application.

Dan.