[libvirt] Packaged Java bindings for libvirt

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 14:37:46 UTC 2008

  Now that java is officially free, it's a good time to get the bindings
the full support they deserve. This work is based on Tóth István ealier
0.0.1 version sent to the list. I refactored the tree a bit, added auto*
configure capabilities, spec file and added it in CVS.

  I used a separate tree for CVS, I think we don't need to couple the
releases for both. The package is named libvirt-java (no suprize),
it compiles, build and seems to work fine on Fedora 9 with OpenJDK 6,
compilation seems to also work with gcj but my build failed because
jar failed to run du to a missing class...

  I'm really not a Java expert, I would really welcome addition
from those who know, there is many things to be added:
   - ant makefile
   - Eclipse integration/makefile
   - making it work on Windows
   - completing the API to cover the full 0.4.x set
   - many things that Java experts will find missing !

I think we can keep this mailing-list as the primary channel for
discussions.
The CVS base is next to the libvirt one, use the same instructions
but use 'co libvirt-java' instead of 'co libvirt', next thing I need to
do is write a documentation page to put on libvirt.org.

Anyway:
   libvirt-java-0.1.0 can be fetched from ftp://libvirt.org/libvirt/java/

I will submit this for Fedora inclusion too,
feedback and patches very welcome.

 many thanks to Tóth, he's the one who did all the code, and he reviewed
my first version :-)

   enjoy !