[Libvir] a couple of questions -Newbie

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 20:28:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 11:14:05AM -0700, Spencer Parker wrote:
> I am really excited to start using this, but I have a couple of
> questions about how to use it exactly.  I want to be able to pull a list
> of stats out of my Xen machines.  I need to get something like network
> i/o.  I just need to know how much in and out traffic that a specific
> machine is doing.  I am pretty new to python and to programming in
> general.  I have looked at the APi and stuff like that, but am a little
> confused still on how to actually do this.  Mainly I just need to know
> how to connect to certain things.
>
> Once I have a basic understanding of what is going on then I can take it
> from there.  Thanks for all the help!

  There is a couple of C code examples at
    http://libvirt.org/examples/index.html
unfortunately this is a bit lacking.
Fetch the sources, you can find a directory python/tests with python
examples. For 'how to connect' pass a connection URi to the connection
creation call instead of NULL/None there are examples
    http://libvirt.org/uri.html
That should not be too hard, really, and if you can contribute back
a simple C example for statistics extraction I will add it, that could
help the next person !