[Libvir] Re: Support for other platforms

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Mar 4 06:12:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 03:27:29PM -0800, Ryan Scott wrote:
> John Levon wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:43:50PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >
> >>(3) Set up some automated builders to build daily versions of libvirt
> >>on other platforms.  "Name and shame" by posting the results to this
> >>list so hopefully people are motivated to make fixes.
> >
> >We're already doing this internally for Xen. In theory, it shouldn't be
> >too much harder to do the same with libvirt. Ryan?
>
> The biggest problem would be dealing with incoming patches that conflict
> with our internal patches.  In particular, anything changing a Makefile
> would probably cause conflicts that I'd have to manually fix.

  Then the question is why do you have to maintain internal patches,
please raise the problems, even for things like makefiles we should
be able to have a single source version for all platforms.

> But, I suppose that would be easier than the effort I'm putting in now,
> trying to merge the storage patches...

  Unfortunately a lot of those are really linux specific, or at least
fs-specific, but we should be able to make this modular.
  libvirt.org is way too old and underpowered to be able to run any
virtualization, but if we could have a box with a few QEmu or Xen instances
just for compiling the CVS head that would be neat (the irony being of
course that we are trying to make those kind of things easier, isn't it !)