[Libvir] Need Help on Error handling.

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 11:45:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 10:52:33PM +0530, Ajishrao.r wrote:
> Hi,
>       I am using libvirt to manage, The Hypervisor, Can Any one Help me
> about handling error? My main questions are.
>
> ---  What is Library level Error Handling?
> ---  Any Example to use
>
> void	virSetErrorFunc			(void * userData,virErrorFunc
> <http://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-virterror.html#virErrorFunc> handler)

I'm not aware of any example code which uses this.

The intention is that it allows a user function to be called when an
error occurs.  The normal way to do this is to check for an error
return code from a function and call virConnGetLastError to retrieve
the error.

> --- What is the difference between these two funtions?
>
> int	virConnCopyLastError		(virConnectPtr
> <http://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt.html#virConnectPtr>
> conn,virErrorPtr
> <http://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-virterror.html#virErrorPtr> to)
> virErrorPtr <http://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-virterror.html#virErrorPtr>	virConnGetLastError	(virConnectPtr
> <http://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt.html#virConnectPtr> conn)

Not a lot of difference.  virGetLastError returns a pointer to the
global last error structure used by the library.  This structure may
be updated on subsequent calls.  virCopyLastError copies this
structure so your copy won't be mutated on subsequent calls.

The global last error structure _isn't_ used much.  There is also a
per-connection error structure.  Which one is used is an interesting
subject.

There are loads of other problems with keeping the error structure or
a copy of it around for a long time (eg. connections and domains may
be freed) so it's better to avoid this.

The best documentation for virterror is the source (src/virterror.c)

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v