[Libvir] "virsh list" command of libvirt consumes a lot of CPU in the domain-0

jean-paul.pigache at bull.net jean-paul.pigache at bull.net
Tue Mar 11 15:48:57 UTC 2008

Hi all,
I know that this is not a libvirt issue but this badly impacts libvirt
usage.
Is anyone aware of any status on this issue ? Daniel ?

Here is some history I could get from the libvirt mailing list :

* October 12, 2006 (Daniel Berrange).
I've been trying to track down just why talking to XenD is resulting in so
much CPU time being
comsumed by both xend & xenstored. As a test case, I'm running 'virsh
dominfo demo' which results in
a single HTTP request to Xend to fetch domain info, eg 'GET
/xend/domains/demo'
Run this in a tight loop & I'll see xenstored taking > 50% CPU, and XenD
taking another 11%
2647 root 16 0 6188 840 464 R 52 0.0 0:55.04 xenstored
11600 root 18 0 259m 7568 1516 S 11 0.2 0:04.53 python
Its not surprising that xend is consuming time since we are making many
requests per second, but for
an operation which is only doing reads it having so much time attributed
to xenstored seems very
excessive. So I ran oprofile & collected some data about xenstored:
CPU: AMD64 processors, speed 2211.33 MHz (estimated)
Counted CPU_CLK_UNHALTED events (Cycles outside of halt state) with a unit
mask of 0x00 (No
unit mask) count 100000
samples % image name symbol name
347226 45.9445 ext3 (no symbols)
264664 35.0200 jbd (no symbols)
31778 4.2048 libc-2.5.so memset
10763 1.4241 xenstored main
8884 1.1755 libc-2.5.so _int_malloc
7053 0.9332 libc-2.5.so vfprintf
4264 0.5642 xenstored initialize_set
So almost 80% of xenstored's CPU time is attributed to ext3 & journalling
modules, suggesting
xenstored is doing alot of disk I/O. strace()'ing the xenstored process
shows the only file it is opening
is:
# strace -p 2647 -e trace=open,rename,unlink
Process 2647 attached - interrupt to quit
open("/var/lib/xenstored/tdb.0x62aa80", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC, 0640) =
13
open("/var/lib/xenstored/tdb.0x62aa80", O_RDWR) = 15
rename("/var/lib/xenstored/tdb.0x62aa80", "/var/lib/xenstored/tdb") = 0
unlink("/var/lib/xenstored/tdb.0x62aa80") = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
open("/var/lib/xenstored/tdb.0x62b2b0", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC, 0640) =
13
open("/var/lib/xenstored/tdb.0x62b2b0", O_RDWR) = 14
rename("/var/lib/xenstored/tdb.0x62b2b0", "/var/lib/xenstored/tdb") = 0
unlink("/var/lib/xenstored/tdb.0x62b2b0") = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
So basically it is repeatedly copying its persistent TBD database over and
over again. The TDB on this
system is 128 KB in size and each individual HTTP GET on /xend/domain/demo
is resulting in 16
copies being made.
Do the maths - 128 * 16 == 2 MB of reads, and 2 MB of writes - for a
single read in XenD. Now if I
monitor the status of 20 domains, once per second that's causing 40 MB of
writes & 40 MB of reads
every second which is utterly ridiculous & completely non scalable for
enterprise deployment :-(
There's two problems I see here:
1. Why the need for xenstored to be doing any of this I/O in the first
place?
If the DB needs to be kept on disk at all, it really needs to have a much
saner update/transactional
model to only update bits which actually change, rather than re-creating
the entire DB on every
transaction. But it strikes me that the DB could potentially be kept
entirely in memory removing the
disk I/O completely. Sure yyou wouldn't be able to restart the daemon
then, but even today you can't
restart xenstored & expect things to still be working.
2. Why does XenD create sooo many transactions in XenStored for a read op
?
Having instrumented Xend it sems that the root cause of the problem is the
xen.xend.xenstore.xstransact class. This alllows one to start a
transaction, do a bunch of
reads/writes & then commit the transaction. At the same time though it has
a bunch of static
'convenience' methods for read & write which will implicitly start &
commit a transaction. Well
90% of the code in XenD seems to be using these 'convenience' methods
instead of explicitly
starting a transaction to cover a piece of work - the result is a simple
GET causes 16 transactions
....and an 'xm create' results in 80 transactions. These convenience
methods are utterly destroying
performance.
Clearly we can't address these for 3.0.3, but I think both of these areas
need serious work in 3.0.4 if we
want a scalable control plane in Dom0. Fixing the XenD bit looks
particularly hard because any single
method using the convenience xenstored read functions can be called under
many different contexts, so
of which needs transactions, others which don't. It ought to be possible
to trace back all the calls &
make it possible to pass explicit xstransct objects into all calls & then
kill off the convenience methods.

* Answer, same day (October 12, 2006)

Yes, xenstored is very simple minded in many respects. We will certainly
be improving this during
3.0.4 development -- I think we can get the costs down very significantly
for commonplace operations
without enormous effort.

* Avril 25, 2007 (Daniel Berrange)

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-10/msg00487.html)
> This bug is fixed in Xen 3.0.4
No it isn't. The performance bug is actually at least x2 worse in Xen
3.0.4