[Libvir] Re: [et-mgmt-tools] [RFE] virtual networks without DHCP

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri May 2 13:40:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:52:12AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 02:57:54PM +0200, Geert Jansen wrote:
> > I think it would be nice if it were possible to create a virtual network
> > with virt-manager without DHCP and DNS services. This is useful when you
> > want to use a host-only network for testing a setup that includes a DHCP
> > server.
> >
> > I am not sure whether this is a limitation in virt-manager or in libvirt.
>
> It's a libvirt thing.  Replies redirected to libvir-list.
>
> My understanding is that if the network doesn't contain a <ip...>
> element in the network XML then no DHCP server will be created.
>
>   http://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html

As Rich mentions, this is already supported in libvirt - simply omit
the <dhcp> tag. This is not exposed in the virt-manager UI though - it
always requires DHCP, so you'll need to use the command line to configure
this.

Dan
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|