[libvirt] [RFC] Network interface XML for containers

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri May 9 17:38:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 07:26:07PM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> On Fri, 9 May 2008, Dave Leskovec wrote:
>
> > We never really settled on the XML format for container network interfaces.  I
> > know a little more about what these look like now and have been working on the
> >  code so would like to get this sorted out.
> >
> > With network namespaces enabled, processes within the container will not be able
> > to see any network devices outside of the container.
>

> 1) How does it solve 'mac address spoofing' between virtual machines?

That's an irrelevant question for the libvirt XML format. We're simply
defining what MAC address a guest has. Its upto the underlying virtualization
technology to do the neccessary mac address spoofing protection based on
the define MAC libvirt assignes to a guest

> 2) How does it solve 'dupplicate mac addresses' in a cluster of processing
> units?

It doesn't. Libvirt does not provide policy, only mechanism. Its upto
tools using libvirt to ensure uniqueness.

> 3) How does it solve 'migration arp issues'?

Again, not libvirt's problem. Its the underlying virt technology to deal
with.

Dan
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|