[libvirt] [RFC] Network interface XML for containers

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri May 9 19:45:14 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 12:29:39PM -0700, Dan Smith wrote:
> DL> So the users init would be responsible for configuring the
> DL> container veth device then?  At that point they can assign a
> DL> static ip if desired?  This would mean that for a container that
> DL> wanted to just run an application, <init> would have to point to a
> DL> script that configured the network and then ran the application.
> DL> Not sure that's a problem, just stating the consequence.
>
> I think that specifying the IP in the XML is a nice shortcut, but I
> wonder about two things:
>
> First, if you're just starting a single application in a container,
> what are the chances you want that single application to have an
> interface and IP address of its own?

And you could trivially write a short shell script around the app
that sets the IP that it requirs.

> Second, the IP address that shows up in the libvirt config would imply
> to viewers that they can access the guest in that way.  However, the
> guest could certainly have changed the address of its interface, thus
> invalidating the IP information that libvirt has.

Yes, this is a compelling reason not to expose it to me - its simply
not data that can be reliably determined from the host OS side where
libvirt is living.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|