[libvirt] PATCH: Fix default bus type selection for disks

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue May 13 11:54:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:31:10AM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> in spite of the proliferation of casts --
> That's not good for readability/maintainability.
>
> What do you think of this?
>
>     static inline char *xml2char(xmlChar *x) { return (char *) x; }
>
> The uses are still ugly, but at least they're safer:
> (note that the parameter cannot be a "const" pointer because the
> incoming xmlChar* is almost always non-const, as it must be, since
> it's going to be freed).

I'd suggest going one better and defining a thing wrapper around the
xmlNodeGetProp method

    char *virXMLGetProp(xmlNodePtr *node, const char *name) {
        return (char *)xmlNodeGetProp(node, BAD_CAST name);
    }

That should let us get rid of all these casts throughout the code

The only potential issue would be that xmlChar * is technically supposed to
be free via the xmlFree() method, rather than free(), but I believe they're
defined to be identical unless special debug allocators are registered ?

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|