[libvirt] [RFC] Publishing utilisation on mDNS

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Wed May 14 20:32:45 UTC 2008

After playing around with Avahi, I have now a server that is able to query
all hosts on the network and their VMs, I think it would be interesting to
publish utilisation statistics in the Txt record of the service.

Of course one could login to a host and fetch the info, but I think it
would be (managementwise) interesting if the hosts would announce this
information.

The implication for libvirtd would be a thread that updates
lets say, per minute the avarage cpu load / free memory.

I might even go further and publish all resource statistics over mDNS.
Maybe people have ideas about this too, securitywise i'm not really
interested in the implications since I'm publishing it on a management
LAN.

Stefan