[libvirt] Domain XML format using defined storage volume + RFC

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Thu May 15 13:20:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, 15 May 2008, Stefan de Konink wrote:

> Now I wonder, is it possible to have here
> somethinglike storage://netapp/lun-0?

[snip]

> >From the standpoint: we make it easy for the user I would prefer not to
> provide a Linux specific path.

http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsDisks

I propose an extension to the current <source> tag specifying where a disk
should come from. In my humble opinion something that is already available
inside libvirt should be reused.

Therefore:

source
    If the disk type is "file", then the file attribute specifies the
fully-qualified path to the file holding the disk. If the disk type is
"block", then the dev attribute specifies the path to the host device to
serve as the disk.

    If the disk type is "pool", then the pool attribute and the volume
attibute specify what volume should be used for this disk.

I'm currently playing with xml.c to get it supported. One thing
that would be interesting is a 'start' parameter, so when the
pool is defined but not yet started it should start. Any comments
to the idea?

Stefan