[libvirt] libvirt & VServer?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue May 20 13:19:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 08:28:27AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 10:22:50AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> > >   Hum, right, but in the meantime lxc was added which is also a
> > > (linux specific) container system, with the advantage of not requiring
> > > a patched kernel (only a very recent one).
> > >   I have no idea if lxc and V-Server are competing or merging, I would
> > > hope for the latter since they operate in the same space and the same
> > > set of constraints (at least from my viewpoint).
> >
> > Thanks.  I don't know much about this either.  I was just asked by
> > someone from Debian about this.  Apparently VServer is popular or
> > supported in Debian?
>
>   I think we were supportive of the V-Server patch too. The discussion
> was only about the XML format used.
>   In general adding support for new hypervisors in libvirt is a good
> idea, this means less effort at the tool level. The most confusing seems
> the small twaeks needed at the XML format to adapt to specifics of the
> hypervisors/virtualization, but hopefully with the new format documentation
> this should get clearer now,

Once we have the next release of libvirt out of the way, I want to tackle
the task of unifying all the XML parsers and XML generators. The storage
APIs have a single parser & generator for all the different backends. I
believe we can do the same for the domain XML and thus dramatically reduce
the amount of work required to add new drivers, as well as reducing the
amount of code we have to manitain & keep in sync.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|