[libvirt] autostarting xend domains

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue May 20 14:03:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 10:00:50AM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found that support for setting autostart parameters for xend managed
> > guests has been added to libvirt
> > (https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-May/msg00060.html)
> >
> > So I tried that but failed with virsh's autostart command (and also
> > virt-manager) like this:
> >
> > virsh # autostart saruman
> > libvir: Xen Daemon error : POST operation failed: (xend.err "Error
> > creating domain: VM name 'saruman' already exists as domain 32")
> > libvir: Xen Daemon error : failed Xen syscall Failed to redefine sexpr
> > 6508560
> > error: Failed to mark domain saruman as autostarted
> >

> > So yes, the domain is indeed running but I understood it should be
> > changeable during a domain's lifetime.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > That is a libvirt CVS snapshot from yesterday and a Xen 3.1 installation.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >   Wolfgang
>
> Hmm, I thought redefining the sexpr in place was an a-okay thing to do,
> and this worked on my f8 machine. I'll look into this.

Yes it is an OK thing todo. It is explicitly supported as it is *required*
in order todo installations - we boot the guest with the install config,
and defnie the guest with its persistent config. What exact version of Xen
is being used here ? It looks like it has overzealous duplicate checking

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|