[libvirt] Problem in attaching a interface to a domain

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu May 22 11:47:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:18:18PM +0530, sarveswara rao mygapula wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am facing problems in creating a network bridge using libvirt. My
> requirement is, i need to create a bridge on the host machine. The bridge
> shd get ip address from dhcp server(instead of static). I am not getting
> what exactly the xml format that virsh is looking for?
>
> I am using the following xml for creating a bridge.
> <network>
>         <name>local</name>
>         <bridge name="virbr1" />
>         <source dev="eth1"/>
>         <mac address="00:11:22:33:44:55"/>
> </network>
>
> The bridge is getting created but not with the specified device and mac
> address. Bridge is not getting ip address at all.
> Can you please tell me the xml format for my requirement?

There is info on the website here:

   http://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html

NB, the libvirt <network> format is only relevant for creating bridges
that forward traffic, optionally with NAT. It does *not* create bridges
with a physical device attached. For info on the latter use your distro
network setup process, eg

  http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking

Regards,
Dan.