[libvirt] Does libvirt support Solaris Zones?

Ryan Scott Ryan.Scott at Sun.COM
Mon Nov 3 18:47:15 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 11:31:16AM +0000, jovialGuy _ wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I have a quick question, does libvirt latest release supports Solaris Zones?
>> I know it supports LDoms and xVM support is being integrated towards xVM
>> Server. But which release to date supports Solaris Zones?
>
> Sun has a fork of a fairly old libvirt release (0.3.something IIRC) in
> which they've added LDoms support. The code is not present in the
> official releases of libvirt yet, and last time I looked it didn't
> really comply with the XML format correctly, and still needed quite
> alot of work done to it. Hopefully they'll find the time to re-submit
> the driver for inclusion in main libvirt codebase again in  the future.

Unfortunately, it's a case of too much to do and not enough time.  The
LDoms port is currently on hold.

> There has been work in official releases to support Xen dom0 on Open
> Solaris, but I think there are still some outstanding patches in the
> Open Solaris repositories that aren't in our offcial releases.

We're temporarily stuck on 0.4.0 for the time being, which makes
forwarding-porting patches difficult.  I hope to update our internal
gate to 0.4.6 within a month, which will allow me to send out some patches.

> I'm not aware of any support for Solaris Zones, or xVM  -that's VirtualBox
> based i guess?

I would like to port libvirt to Zones, but it looks unlikely that I'll
have the time to do so.

-Ryan