[libvirt] RFC: Domain events add DEFINED and UNDEFINED events

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 12:39:26 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 12:26:23PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > Yesterday, I began looking into creating a xen driver patch for emitting the DEFINED/UNDEFINED events via inotify.
> > It looks like the easiest way to do this right now is to create yet another Xen sub-driver.
> > I don't expect this to take an extremely long time, as this tutorial from IBM makes it fairly straightforward to understand:
> > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-inotify.html
>
> The experimental user mode linux driver has some iNotify code in
> it too if you want another point of reference. See the
> umlInotifyEvent() method umlStartup() where I register for the
> events
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-October/msg00355.html

  Hum, the only problem is that contrary to uml , the xen drivers should
not be Linux specific, but inotify is linux specific.
Making this subdriver Linux only should still be okay until someone
using Solaris comes with an appropriate patch though,

/me hopes to never get involved again into the mess of portable APIs
    for file changes notifications.