[libvirt] libvirt-qpid

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 14:50:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 02:55:57PM -0700, Ian Main wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:36:24 +0100
> "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Configurable use of syslog() would be a good idea. For sake of consistency
> > > I'd recommend looking at the libvirtd daemon, and its command line arg
> > > handling - see  qemud/qemud.c file and the main() method in it.  Pretty
> > > much all the libvirtd  argv would make sense for libvirt-qpid agent.
> >
> > Likewise, you'll probably want a configuration file for stuff like
> > the IP address rather than passing everything on the command line.
> > A file in /etc/libvirt/libvirt-qpid.conf would be a good location,
> > preferrably following the same syntax & config arg naming as the
> > existing libvirtd.conf there. It'd be fairly easy to take our
> >  'virConf' stuff in src/conf.c and use it in your daemon - just
> > c++-ify it as desired.
>
> Well I'm glad you generally approve :).
>
> I've done a number of things since this announcement:
>
> - added getopt_long option parsing.
> - to solve the config issue I used /etc/sysconfig/libvirt-qpid environment
>   variable to pass in broker host and port.  Maybe a config file would be
>   better I'm not sure.

A combination of both is usually desired. The recommended split of
responsibility is as follows:

 - /etc/sysconfig/libvirt-qpid - control how the daemon is started
   and controlled by the boot process. This is usually restricted
   to things like passing a --daemon flag (if neeed), configuring
   syslog levels, but not stuff with has a functional effect on
   the daemon. So not IP addresses / ports / etc. It also usually
   has a catch all generic variable to allow the admin to give
   arbitrary command line args.

 - /etc/libvirt/libvirt-qpid.conf - control functional behaviour
   of the daemon. TCP port/addresses, authentication (if applicable),
   connection URI, important stuff like that.