[libvirt] PATCH: Support SDL configuration for QEMU driver

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 15:26:55 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> QEMU has two modes of providing a graphical display, VNC and SDL. Now most
> of our tools just use VNC, but occasionally people want to use SDL for
> some crazy reason. We already support this in Xen driver, but the QEMU
> impl has been rather lacking. At the moment if you ask for a SDL display
> it'll only happen to work if you had the $DISPLAY environment variable
> set when you started libvirtd - you probably don't.

I've thought about this issue before, not sure how to fully solve it
though. If we set the display in the xml at install time (say setting
it to :0.0), but at a later time we ssh =Y into that machine, the
display in the xml will be wrong, and possibly pop the sdl window on
someone else's display. Possibly a solution at the virsh or
virt-manager level?

Thanks,
Cole