[libvirt] Re: [discuss] The new cgroup patches for libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 18:13:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 09:31:52PM +0530, Balbir Singh wrote:
> I understand that in the past there has been a perception that libcgroups might
> not yet be ready, because we did not have ABI stability built into the library
> and the header file had old comments about things changing. I would urge the
> group to look at the current implementation of libcgroups (look at v0.32) and
> help us
>
> 1. Fix any issues you see or point them to us
> 2. Add new API or request for new API that can help us integrate better with libvirt

To expand on what I said in my other mail about providing value-add over
the representation exposed by the kernel, here's some thoughts on the API
exposed.

Consider the following high level use case of libvirt

 - A set of groups, in a 3 level hierarchy <APPNAME>/<DRIVER>/<DOMAIN>
 - Control the ACL for block/char devices
 - Control memory limits

This translates into an underling implementation, that I need to create 3
levels of cgroups in the filesystem, attach my PIDs at the 3rd level
use the memory and device controllers and attach PIDs at the 3rd, and
set values for attributes exposed by the controllers. Notice I'm not
actually setting any config parms at the 1st & 2nd levels, but they
do need to still exist to ensure namespace uniqueness amongst different
applications using cgroups.

The current cgroups API provides APIs that directly map to individual
actions wrt the kernel filesystem exposed. So as an application developer
I have to explicitly create the 3 levels of hierarchy, tell it I want
to use memory & device controllers, format config values into the syntax
required for each attribute, and remeber the attribute names.

     // Create the hierachy <APPNAME>/<DRIVER>/<DOMAIN>
     c1 = cgroup_new_cgroup("libvirt")
     c2 = cgroup_new_cgroup_parent(c1, "lxc")
     c3 = cgroup_new_cgroup_parent(c2, domain.name)

     // Setup the controllers I want to use
     cgroup_add_controler(c3, "devices")
     cgroup_add_controller(c3, "memory")

     // Add my domain's PID to the cgroup
     cgroup_attach_task(c3, domain.pid)

     // Set the device ACL limits
     cgroup_set_value_string(c2, "devices.deny", "a");

     char buf[1024];
     sprintf(buf, "%c %d:%d", 'c', 1, 3);
     cgroup_set_value_stirng(c2, "devices.allow", buf);

     // Set memory limit
     cgroup_set_value_uint64(c2, "memory.limit_in_bytes", domain.memory * 1024);

This really isn't providing any semantically useful abstraction over
the direct filesytem manipulation. Just a bunch of wrappers for mkdir(),
mount() and read()/write() calls. My application still has to know far
too much information about the details of cgroups as exposed by the
kernel.

I do not care that there is a concept of  'controllers' at all, I just
want to set device ACLs and memory limits. I do not care what the attributes
in the filesystem are called, again I just want to set device ACLs and memory
limits.  I do not care what the data format for them must be for device/memory
settings. Memory settings could be stored in base-2, base-10 or base-16 I
should not have to know this information.

With this style of API, the library provide no real value-add or  compelling
reason to use it.

What might a more useful API look like? At least from my point of view,
I'd like to be able to say:

      // Tell it I want $PID placed in <APPNAME>/<DRIVER>/<DOMAIN>
      char *path[] = { "libvirt", "lxc", domain.name};
      cg = cgroup_new_path(path, domain.pid)

      // I want to deny all devices
      cgroup_deny_all_devices(cg);

      // Allow /dev/null - either by node/major/minor
      cgroup_allow_device_node(cg, 'c', 1, 3);

      // Or more conviently just give it a node to copy info from
      cgroup_allow_device_node(cg, "/dev/null")

      // Set memory in KB
      cgroup_set_memory_limit_kb(cg, domain.memory)

Notice how with such a style of API, I don't need to know anything about
the low level implementation details - I'm working entirely in terms of
semantically meaningful concepts.

Now, comes the hard bit - you have to figure out what semantic concepts
you want to expose to applications. The example here would be suitable
for libvirt, but not neccessarily for other applications. Picking the
right APIs is very much much harder than  just exposing the kernel
capabilities directly as libcgroup.h does now, but the trade off is
that the resulting API would be much more useful and interesting to
app developers.