[libvirt] virDomanMigrate on kvm fails

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Oct 8 09:04:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 09:55:00AM +0200, Kenneth Nagin wrote:
> virDomainMigrate fails when the domain is a kvm guest.
> The error message is "this function is not supported by the hypervisor:
> virDomainMigrate."
> I tried migrating with virsh but it says it can not connected to the
> destination host.
> I have successfully created copies of the same image on both  so that is
> not the problem.
> I hava also booted the same hosts with xen and virDomainMigrate worked.
> What do you think the problem is?

If you go back over the list you'll see that I wrote a patch for KVM
migration, which was enhanced by Chris Lalancette, but currently this
is on hold while KVM decide how they are going to (re-)implement
migration.  There was a big patch posted to the KVM list on Sep 9, but
I'm not sure how much of it went in.

In any case, unless you want to use the unofficial patches (which will
almost certainly not interoperate with future official versions of
libvirt/libvirtd) you can only wait or get involved with KVM.

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 68 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)