[libvirt] Suggestion on commit rules when fixing breakages

Daniel Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 13:19:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 03:15:08PM +0200, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>   As the number of compilation options and platform grows, it gets
> more difficult for a commiter to always ensure one chunk of code
> won't give a problem in a different situation. To try to lower the
> cost of maintaining the protability I would suggest the following
> rule for commit:
>   - if a recently commited patch breaks compilation on a platform
>     or for a given driver then it's fine to commit a minimal fix
>     directly without getting the review feedback first
>   - similary if make check or make syntax-chek breaks, if there is
>     an obvious fix, it's fine to commit immediately
> Note that this would remove the need to send the patch to the list
> anyway (or tell what the fix was if trivial). This doesn't either
> remove the rule that 'make check syntax-check' should pass before
> commiting anything, and obviously the existing review process is still
> needed t for anything which is not a trivial fix breaking make or
> checks.
>
>   I guess it makes sense to minimize disruption for those working on
> head and lower the time needed to get those fix in for those who catch
> and fix them ;-)
>   Opinions ?

Yes, this is reasonable idea - its crazy to wait for ACKs on the list
to fix 1-2 line typos in the code which break compilation.

I'll also remind all those with commit access that you should run be
running autogen.sh or configure with --enable-compile-warnings=error
which adds -Werror to compile flags, so no warnings get missed.