[libvirt] libvirt-qpid

Ian Main imain at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 15:16:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:50:08 +0200
Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 03:40:06PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 03:06:01PM +0200, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > >   You also need 'yum install qpidd' I suspect this indicates a missing
> > > dependancy maybe in the libvirt-qpid package but I'm not 100% sure
> >
> > Yeah, i believe that should be a requirement. NB, the versions of qpidc
> > and qpidd in Fedora currently are too old for libvirt-qpid. I've been
> > speaking with qpid maintainer and they'll push a new build to Fedora in
> > the very near future.
>
>   Ah, that probably explains why that didn't work for me, I got my qpidd
> from Fedora ...
>   Another question, upon rebout the QPid service starts automatically,
> I wonder if there is something to do to be able to connect assuming
> a "default install" and not starting without auth .

Ah, I know what happened.. I changed the dependencies since my first email.
qpidd isn't needed for libvirt-qpid to operate.  It's just an agent and can
talk to a qpidd on a different host.

Definitely want to make sure you get all the latest versions from the ovirt
repo.  Fedora has previous release of qpid.. ones in ovirt repo are all devel
snapshots.  qpid has codefreeze coming in 3 weeks or so for next release.

> > > BTW i would suggest to rename qpid-tool to libvirt-qpid-tool or
> > > virt-qpid-tool to avoid confusion about the scope.
> >
> > Actually qpid-tool is a general purpose shell  provided by qpid
> > themselves, not a libvirt specific thing - if you have other
> > agents active it'll show those objects as wel as the libvirt
> > ones.
>
>   Oops my bad, i didn't realize it came from qpid itself, good to know.
>

> > > Some comments about the XML schemas:
> > >  - camelCaseDanke :-)
> > >  - Node has methods domain_define_xml, storage_pool_define_xml and
> > >    storage_pool_create_xml
> > >    I think at least for symetry domain_create_xml should be available
> > >    there too.
> >
> > Yep, all APIs should be expressed in the qpid binding eventually.
> >
> > >  - I would make an Error class mimicking at least partially what's
> > >    available in libvirt C or python bindings
> > >  - Domain.create() is very confusing, again I would define domain
> > >    creation under node, i.e. temporary 'undefined' domains. Then
> > >    <method name="create" desc="Start stopped VM"/>
> > >    should probably be renamed 'start' to avoid confusion.
> > >    and the comment "Start a defined but stopped domain" would be more
> > >    adequate by mentioning the define API...
> >
> > The trouble with that is it would diverge from libvirt naming - admittedly
> > the libvirt naming isn't ideal, but i figure consistency is better so
> > people can cross-reference API documentation more easily. So the 'create'
> > method on Domain does make sense,
>
>   okay but let's improve the comment then, it's really confusing
>
> > but we'd expect another 'createLinux'
> > method on the Node object for unmanaged domains - though it might be
> > worth breaking with consistency in this one case and dropping the 'Linux'
> > suffix from the name there .
>
>   Yeah, the Linux suffix is a remain from the very early days with
> paravirt. Actually we should fix libvirt itself and just provide the
> old symbol for compatibility.

Good idea :)  I was wondering why that wasn't the case..

	Ian