[libvirt] libvirt - Configure fails with error message

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 13:02:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 02:58:55PM +0200, Ricardo Tiago wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When i try to run configure it fails asking me to install the gnutls
> library, which is already installed.
>
> Output from configure:
>
> checking for struct _xmlURI.query_raw... no
> checking gnutls/gnutls.h usability... yes
> checking gnutls/gnutls.h presence... yes
> checking for gnutls/gnutls.h... yes
> checking for gnutls_handshake in -lgnutls... no
> configure: error: You must install the GnuTLS library in order to
> compile and run libvirt
>
> [user1 at xxx libvirt-0.4.6]# rpm -qa | grep gnutls
> gnutls-devel-1.4.1-3.el5_1
> gnutls-1.4.1-3.el5_1
>
> After some checking in configure.in I verified that what was really
> missing is libgcrypt-devel.

This is a packaging bug - since gnutls depends on gcrypt, the
gnutls-devel package should have Requires: libgcrypt-devel.

> I believe the error message should be updated and provide more details
> or at least a check for libgcrypt should be done before the gnutls
> check.

Well libvirt is not using libgcrypt - we're using gnutls. If gnutls
happens to use libgcrypt internally then it should require it. We
shouldn't have to second guess what dependant libraries gnutls is
requiring