[libvirt] Question about supporting other hypervisor

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Oct 17 09:42:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 09:38:35AM +0900, Atsushi SAKAI wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a simple question raised yesterday.
>
> CIM(Common Information Model) is a kind of good I/F
> (to support VMware, Hyper-V and other platform).
>
> As a CIM Provider, libvirt-cim is going on.
> But for CIM Client, Is not going on.
>
> Is there any reason for not supporting CIM on libvirt driver layer?
> I am thinking about cim-xml driver (like remote driver) in libvirt.

It is certainly a possibility, but personally I'd prefer native drivers
for each hypervisor - there is only VMWare & Hyper-V left that are the
main players with no driver support. Having an abstraction layer like
libvirt run over an abstraction layer like CIM, in turn over the native
layer will make quite a complex system to debug & be inherantly less
efficient than taking to the native APIs. So although it'd probably
be more work to write a separate VMWare & Hyper-V driver, I think that
it'd result in better drivers for each in the long term.