[libvirt] Re: [RFC] sVirt v0.10 - initial prototype

James Morris jmorris at namei.org
Tue Oct 28 21:42:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Paul Moore wrote:

> However, may I suggest that instead of representing the DOI as a string
> we use a 32bit integer?  I know that may sound a bit odd, but in the
> networking world most DOI values are represented as integers and when
> security labels are involved they tend to be 32bits.  I understand that
> using a plain integer is much more abstract than a human readable
> string but it should make it easier to leverage existing and future*
> DOI frameworks.

I'd prefer to use string, which can be managed freely by the user, and be
human-readable.  Unlike IP layer networking, we're not constrained by e.g.
having to fit in the IP options, and can simply convey the DOI as-is.

This will also not prevent users from utilizing integers as the DOI if
desired.

In the common non-DoD case, people should be able to configure the DOI as
simply as editing a configuration file to set the DOI to a domain name or
arbitrary realm name.

> *An informal group/list just formed to start discussing DOI management
> issues such as DOI formats, negotiation and translation.

URL ?

- James
--
James Morris