[libvirt] domain type "kvm" error

Rakotomandimby Mihamina mihamina.rakotomandimby at etu.univ-orleans.fr
Sun Sep 7 18:10:54 UTC 2008

Hi all,
I use "ubuntu hardy" but I dont think the problem is specific to the
distribution I use.

I installed KVM and libvirt as described here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM

Following that method, created a domain, which dumps like this:
   <domain type='qemu' id='1'>
     <name>xp1</name>
   </domain>

Launching the guest is OK, but it is as slow as if I directly launched
   $ qemu [options]
I tried to launch:
   $ kvm [options]
and it is much faster
My conclusion is that method on the Ubuntu documentation launches a qemu
without the use of kvm.

I modified that XML dump, changing "qemu" with "kvm":
   <domain type='kvm' id='1'>
     <name>xp1</name>
   </domain>

I undefined the domain "xp1" and re-defined it with that new XML file.
When I start the new defined domain:
   virsh # start xp1
   libvir: QEMU error : QEMU quit during console startup
   qemu: unknowm parameter 'boot' in \
         'file=/home/mihamina/xpjohnny.iso,if=ide,media=cdrom,boot=on'
   error: Failed to start domain xp1

It's a Windows XP domain.

My conclusion is:
- When domain type is "qemu", qemu is called a certain way, without
syntax error
- When domain type is "kvm", qemu/kvm is not called the same way and
among that, there are syntax errors.

How to confirm my conclusion?
What to check if it's the case?

I already filed a bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvirt/+bug/252916
but they seem not to have idea of the problem.

--
Huile Essentielle de Camphre http://www.huile-camphre.fr
Infogerance http://www.infogerance.us