[libvirt] Overriding vnetN with the <target> element in xml configuration not working

Ahmed Medhat ultimatetux at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 00:32:13 UTC 2008

Hello,

I've been trying to dedicated a vnet interface to each virtual machine
in order to be able to monitor their traffic, looking at
http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsNICSBridge it says that a
virtual machine could have a specific vnetN specified in the xml
element <target>, like <target dev='vnet7'/> .

Unfortunately its not working and still it comes with vnet(current+1),
here's my configuration for a qemu-kvm guest.

    <interface type='bridge'>
      <source bridge='virbr0'/>
      <target dev='vnet7'/>
      <mac address='00:16:3e:6c:1f:9d'/>
    </interface>

I'm running on F9 x86_64,

libvirt-0.4.4-2.fc9.x86_64
libvirt-python-0.4.4-2.fc9.x86_64
kvm-65-7.fc9.x86_64
qemu-0.9.1-6.fc9.x86_64

I haven't yet tested this with a RHEL box to know if it is version
specific issue to open a bugzilla report, any input is appreciated.

/*
|| Thanks, Ahmed Medhat
|| ultimatetux [at] gmail [dot] com
|| +2-012-4184768
|| In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
*/