[libvirt] Libvirtd needs to be always running/

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 09:27:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 10:45:41AM -0700, Yushu Yao wrote:
>     A newbie question:
>     Does the libvirtd need to be running all the time if I want to use any
> functions of libvirt (as simple as start/stop/pause my virtual machines
> (qemu/zen)). Or is it only try if I use the remote functions or virsh.

The answer is yes & no.

Libvirtd does *not* need to be running if you want to control the
local Xen hypervisor.  In this case libvirt makes direct hypervisor
calls and/or uses a connection to xend to do its work.

It *is* needed for:
 - remote access
 - non-root access
 - if you use the network or storage features
 - managing QEMU and KVM instances

If libvirtd isn't running you will get a warning, but that can just be
ignored.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top