[libvirt] Ability to nice KVM processes

Henri Cook henri at theplayboymansion.net
Tue Sep 9 21:23:59 UTC 2008

Hey all,

I'd quite like the ability to nice my KVM process, on a home basis this
stops my Windows VM locking up my linux desktop when it's under load (or
at least limits it) and in a commercial setting it might be nice to
offer CPU priority to other customers or company backup-services over
customer VPS instances for example.

How does it sound? Any thoughts?

A quick chat in #virt revealed that a method for adding generic KVM
options has been under discussion for ages - I thought i'd throw my two
cents in, what about some sort of expression with variables like:

<cmdstring>{cmd} {options}</cmdstring> (default)

for my nice proposition you could:

<cmdstring>/usr/bin/nice {cmd} {options}</cmdstring>

Obviously people could use this to add conflicting options which is
concerning but perhaps that should be their own lookout - it seems to be
a fairly advanced request.

Thanks,

Henri