[libvirt] cpu flags

Ben Guthro bguthro at virtualiron.com
Tue Sep 16 20:45:09 UTC 2008

Hi,

We're finding that we are going to be needing the cpu flags (as reported
in /proc/cpuinfo)
...specifically to find out if we are a vmx enabled machine.

So - off I went looking into this for a patch to submit upstream.
Unfortunately, I ran into some questions which need answering before I
really proceed with this

It seems to me that this info would best be parsed in src/nodeinfo.c
This is where other cpuinfo things are parsed...and stored in the
nodeinfo struct
Perhaps we store this as a bitmask encoded int, as defined in
/usr/include/asm/cpufeature.h and tack this onto the end of sad struct.

My concern is that adding to the nodeinfo struct breaks the API - such
that the structs will be different sizes between versions.

Also - this seems to be x86 specific. Are we primarily destined for x86?
Or would this type of change be unacceptable due to not working on PPC,
for example?

Thoughts?

Ben