[libvirt] [RFC] Events API

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Sep 22 15:22:07 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 11:11:17AM -0400, David Lively wrote:
> Okay - I'm looking at glib docs.  You guys are suggesting I create
> something that's easy to plug into a glib main loop, right?
> So ... something that's easy to "wrap" with a GSource via
> g_source_new()?  (Stop me now if I'm on the wrong track!)  So ...
> something that plugs into GSourceFuncs elements (in particular
> prepare/check/dispatch/finalize) easily??
>
>    int virEventsNeedDelivering(virConnectionPtr conn)
>    int virEventsDispatch(virConnectionPtr conn)
>    int virEventsCleanup(virConnectionPtr conn)
>
> and perhaps:
>    int virEventsRunOnce(virConnectionPtr conn)
>
> to wrap them all for non-glib-ish implementations?

No, this the wrong approach. This is defining an event loop impl - we
don't want todo that. We need to define an API to let an application
provide a set of callback for libvirt to talk to an existing event
loop impl. ie a way for libvirt to register FD watches and timeouts,
not a way for apps to manually process libvirt events in this way this
example shows.

The public API for this is along the lines of that currently defined
in the src/events.h file.

There are a set of functions libvirt needs in order to register actions
for FDs, and/or timeouts. So the public API should consist of a way
to register impls of these APIs

  typedef int (*virEventAddHandleFunc)(int, int, virEventHandleCallback, void *);
  typedef void (*virEventUpdateHandleFunc)(int, int);
  typedef int (*virEventRemoveHandleFunc)(int);

  typedef int (*virEventAddTimeoutFunc)(int, virEventTimeoutCallback, void *);
  typedef void (*virEventUpdateTimeoutFunc)(int, int);
  typedef int (*virEventRemoveTimeoutFunc)(int);

   void virEventRegisterImpl(virEventAddHandleFunc addHandle,
                             virEventUpdateHandleFunc updateHandle,
                             virEventRemoveHandleFunc removeHandle,
                             virEventAddTimeoutFunc addTimeout,
                             virEventUpdateTimeoutFunc updateTimeout,
                             virEventRemoveTimeoutFunc removeTimeout);

A separate  libvirt-glib.so, would provide a API call

     virEventRegisterGLib()

which calls virEventRegisterImpl() with a suitable implementation for
glib. An application like virt-manager which uses glib and wants events
would then calll virEventRegisterGLib(). If it had a custom event loop
of its own, then it could call virEventRegisterImpl() directly with its
special impl.

It may be worth making our public API even more closely aligned with
dbus - see dbus-connection.h and dbus-server.h - so people writing
glue functions for it could just reuse what they've already written
for dbus.

typedef dbus_bool_t (* DBusAddWatchFunction)       (DBusWatch      *watch,
                                                    void           *data);
typedef void        (* DBusWatchToggledFunction)   (DBusWatch      *watch,
                                                    void           *data);
typedef void        (* DBusRemoveWatchFunction)    (DBusWatch      *watch,
                                                    void           *data);

typedef dbus_bool_t (* DBusAddTimeoutFunction)     (DBusTimeout    *timeout,
                                                    void           *data);
typedef void        (* DBusTimeoutToggledFunction) (DBusTimeout    *timeout,
                                                    void           *data);
typedef void        (* DBusRemoveTimeoutFunction)  (DBusTimeout    *timeout,
                                                    void           *data);

dbus_bool_t dbus_server_set_watch_functions         (DBusServer                *server,
                                                     DBusAddWatchFunction       add_function,
                                                     DBusRemoveWatchFunction    remove_function,
                                                     DBusWatchToggledFunction   toggled_function,
                                                     void                      *data,
                                                     DBusFreeFunction           free_data_function);
dbus_bool_t dbus_server_set_timeout_functions       (DBusServer                *server,
                                                     DBusAddTimeoutFunction     add_function,
                                                     DBusRemoveTimeoutFunction  remove_function,
                                                     DBusTimeoutToggledFunction toggled_function,
                                                     void                      *data,
                                                     DBusFreeFunction           free_data_function);

A 'watch' in DBus terminology is a file descriptor monitor.