[libvirt] Re: [Qemu-devel] Changing the QEMU svn VERSION string

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 09:03:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:10:20AM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>> I'd like to update the VERSION string in QEMU's svn tree. Right now,
>> it's 0.10.0 and since we have a 0.10.2 release, that's somewhat confusing.
>>
>> I don't want to make it 0.11.0 either because that's not going to be
>> reliable from a feature detection perspective. What I would like is to
>> make it 0.11.0-devel or something similar to that.
>
> Maybe 0.10.99 ?  Or 0.10.90, leaving the door open to number the 0.11
> beta / rc versions (if any) 0.10.9{1,2,3}?

  Concur, we have no good way of representing something like 0.11.0-devel
from an rpm Name-Version-Release and be sure it won't  break down the
road if we change our mind on the final naming scheme, while something
like 0.10.90 convey the intent while still being compatible with the
existing numbering scheme (plus it eventually forces you to release the
new version ;-)