[libvirt] Thoughts on svirt configuration files.

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 19:27:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 03:05:57PM -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Currently we do not want to hard code virtual image names into libvirt,
> so libvirt and virtual-manager can use libselinux to get the default
> image label and process label.  svirt_t and svirt_image_t.  The idea was
> one policy writer might want his virtual images labeled differently than
> another.
>
> One problem with this is I added to interfaces one for the domain, and
> one for the image label.  Now we realize we have other images.
>
> We have
>
> process Label        -     svirt_t:MCS
> Exclusive RW Image   -     svirt_image_t:MCS
> Shared RW Image      -     svirt_image_t:s0
> Read Only Image      -     virt_content_t:s0
>
> So I am suggesting that we remove the virtual_image_context file and
> allowing policy writers to define context in the virtual_domain_context
> files but have multiple records and multiple fields.
>
> Something like a space separated list where each field corresponds to above.
>
> system_u:system_r:svirt_t:s0 system_u:object_r:svirt_image_t:s0
> system_u:object_r:svirt_image_t:s0 system_u:object_r:virt_content_t:s0
>
> Then you could add optional types with similar fields
>
> system_u:system_r:svirt_nonet_t:s0 system_u:object_r:svirt_image_t:s0
> system_u:object_r:svirt_image_t:s0 system_u:object_r:virt_content_t:s0

How would libvirt decide which of the records to use, or what the
semantics of each were ? Or are you thinking this info  is just to
allow for verification of user supplied labels in the XML ?

> Since SELinux just returns a path, the virt team could choose the format
> of the file if a space separated list is not addequate. (xml?) Name
> Value Pairs?  Policy writers would have to enter the format that is chosen.

I'd favour using the simple config format we have for /etc/libvirt/libvirt.conf
handled by the src/conf.h APIs. This is actually originates from Xen where
it used /etc/xen/$GUEST config files, which were in fact python code. Our
parser basically allows a subset of just strings and lists, which seems
like it'd be sufficent for this case, and also allow the SELinux python
libs to easily read the files too