[libvirt] Re: [Qemu-devel] Changing the QEMU svn VERSION string

Jamie Lokier jamie at shareable.org
Wed Apr 8 13:56:34 UTC 2009

Paul Brook wrote:
> I'm extremely sceptical of anything that claims to need a fine
> grained version number. In practice version numbers for open source
> projects are fairly arbitrary and meaningless because almost
> everyone has their own set of patches and backported fixes anyway.

I find it's needed onlyh when you need to interact with a program and
workaround bugs or temporarily broken features, and also when the
program gives no other way to determine its features.  For some
reason, I find kernels are the main thing this matters for...

If the help text, some other output, or an API gives enough
information for interacting programs to know what to do, that's much
better and works with arbitrary patches etc.

-- Jamie