[libvirt] migration by libvirt

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Wed Apr 8 15:19:50 UTC 2009

Zvi Dubitzky wrote:
> Using libvirt  virDomainMigrate () do I have to set the target VM with
> same XML config as the source VM machine  before the
> migrate starts or the source machine Host libvirt takes care of this
> preparation before it starts the live migration.
>
> I am talking about the equivalent of  a tcp migration as defined per the
> qemu/kvm migrate command done  via the qemu monitor

This is taken care of by the migration protocol.  Essentially what happens is
that you run a command like:

# virsh migrate --live guest qemu+tls://dest.example.org/system

And in the background, virsh connects to both the local, "source" machine, and
the remote "destination" machine.  It then transfers the XML from the source to
the dest, starts up the "container" on the dest with the -incoming command-line
arg, and then does the migration.

The short of it is that yes, libvirt takes care of all of this behind the scenes.

--
Chris Lalancette