[libvirt] Dummy tag in xml desc?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 17:03:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 03:43:02PM +0200, Jean-Michel Guillaume wrote:
> Hello Everybody!
>
> I'd like to find a way to pass information between a machine & a virtual
> machine managed by libvirt (like we can with VirtualBox or VMware thanks
> to guest tools for instance ). I thought that I would have been able to
> write a comment section or something like that within the xml
> description of the right domain, but every new comments or xml tags are
> erased once I save them... Maybe somebody's got an idea to help me :D...

There isn't any explicit direct way to pass information into the guest.
Some other options though

 - Add an extra NIC, but don't connect it to the main host OS public
   network. So host can talk to guest via the NIC & vica-verca, but
   outside world can't see it.
 - Create a ISO / floppy disk image put files in it and add this disk
   to the guest
 - For Linux only, if you're booting off kenrel+initrd, you can pass
   a limited amount of info via the 'cmdline' args parameter