[libvirt] 802.1q vlan-tagging support for libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 18:52:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 03:50:32PM -0300, Klaus Heinrich Kiwi wrote:
> Are there any plans to support configuring 802.1q VLAN tagging through
> libvirt?
>
> My understanding is that libvirt would use vconfig to create tagged
> interfaces, while using a physical interface as trunk (e.g., eth0 is the
> trunk, eth0.20 the interface with the '20' vlan tag).

Yes, this type of configuration is within scope of the network
interface management APis, that Laine  &  David Lutterkort are
currently working on. THe underlying config will be done by netcf
library.

> I don't know how libvirt would need to be extended to be able to
> properly 'manage' those 802.1q-enabled virtual switches. Another
> question would be how libvirt-CIM would support this.

Once libvirt provides the network interface functionality, then the
libvirt-CIM developers can map it into the appropriate DMTF schema