[libvirt] Changing the QEMU svn VERSION string

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Tue Apr 7 02:37:55 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'd like to update the VERSION string in QEMU's svn tree.  Right now,
it's 0.10.0 and since we have a 0.10.2 release, that's somewhat confusing.

I don't want to make it 0.11.0 either because that's not going to be
reliable from a feature detection perspective.  What I would like is to
make it 0.11.0-devel or something similar to that.

Being the nice guy I am, I thought I would check that this didn't make
libvirt go bonkers :-)  This is the relevant detection code in libvirt:

if (sscanf(help, "QEMU PC emulator version %u.%u.%u (kvm-%u)",
           &major, &minor, &micro, &kvm_version) != 4)
     kvm_version = 0;

if (!kvm_version && sscanf(help, "QEMU PC emulator version u.%u.%u",
     &major, &minor, &micro) != 3)
     goto cleanup2;

If I change SVN to 0.11.0-devel, that's going to break the KVM string
although the QEMU string will continue to work.  Avi could potentially
carry a patch to keep it 0.10.x and since kvm-%u will be used to
identify features, that should keep things working.

Anyone have any objections/suggestions?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori