[libvirt] Re: [Qemu-devel] Changing the QEMU svn VERSION string

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Tue Apr 7 13:52:46 UTC 2009

Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:10:20AM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>
>>   Hi,
>>

>>> I'd like to update the VERSION string in QEMU's svn tree. Right now,
>>> it's 0.10.0 and since we have a 0.10.2 release, that's somewhat confusing.
>>>
>>> I don't want to make it 0.11.0 either because that's not going to be
>>> reliable from a feature detection perspective. What I would like is to
>>> make it 0.11.0-devel or something similar to that.
>>>
>> Maybe 0.10.99 ?  Or 0.10.90, leaving the door open to number the 0.11
>> beta / rc versions (if any) 0.10.9{1,2,3}?
>>

>   Concur, we have no good way of representing something like 0.11.0-devel
> from an rpm Name-Version-Release and be sure it won't  break down the
> road if we change our mind on the final naming scheme, while something
> like 0.10.90 convey the intent while still being compatible with the
> existing numbering scheme (plus it eventually forces you to release the
> new version ;-)

I think that's going to lead to even more confusion.  While I'm inclined
to not greatly mind 0.10.99 for the development tree, when we do release
candidates for the next release, it's going to be 0.11.0-rc1.  I don't
expect RPMs to ever be created from non-release versions of QEMU
provided we stick to our plan of frequent releases.

I still think libvirt should work with versions of QEMU/KVM built from
svn/git though.  I think the only way to do that is for libvirt to relax
their version checks to accommodate suffixes in the form
major.minor.stable-foo.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori