[libvirt] test driver for interface config

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Tue Apr 7 15:59:52 UTC 2009

> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:39:22AM -0400, Laine Stump wrote:
>
>> I'm now trying to write the test driver for the interface config driver
>> that I'm putting into libvirt. For comparison I'm using the network
>> driver. My understanding so far is that it calls the functions in the
>> real driver to construct network objects and manipulate them, then just
>> doesn't call the code that makes the changes to the system config.
>>

> No, this isn't quite right. The test driver is a driver in its own
> right - it doesn't call into any of the 'real' network driver.
>
> Both the 'test' and 'real' network drivers share the same XML
> parsing & formatting routines and internal object structures
> from network_conf.h/.c

Right, that's what I meant, but it didn't come out that way - the
corresponding functions in each driver are almost identical to each
other, just with some crucial omissions in the test driver case.

It's sounding like the test driver will be a larger, more complex beast
than the live driver that has netcf behind it.

> Even though its doing a passthrough to netcf library, the netcf driver
> would still need to parse the XML in accordance with libvirt
> defined schema. It just happens that netcf uses the same XML
> format, so it can then convert it back into XML and pass it on
> through to netcf.

I've heard differing opinions on that. As long as the format is
identical, it's not really needed (as long as you can rely on proper
error handling/reporting from netcf), but if it has to be done anyway
for the test driver, then it's not much extra effort to do it for netcf too.